1. Use TO in these cases:
Motive/Reason (with verb)
- I went to the store to buy milk.
What time it is
- It was a quarter to six when I left.
- I shall go to London next month.
- It’s about ten kilometers from my house to my school.
- I prefer this dress to the one you were wearing yesterday.
- He gave the pen to his friend.
2. Use FOR in these cases:
Motive/Reason (with noun)
- I went to the store for milk.
Period of time
- The couple took the house for 2 years.
- A win is always good for morale.
Function – with verb (-ing form)
- She had a special talent for learning languages.
- Are you for or against his idea?
Doing something to help someone
- Could you carry my case for me?