A “wh-” question is one that is formed with an interrogative word and that expects an answer other than yes or no.
List of Question Words
What – ask for information about things, name, occupations, activities,…
- What is this? It is a book.
- What is your name? My name is Emily.
- What do you do? I am a doctor.
- What kind of movies do you live? I like action films.
- What time did you study English? At 9.30.
When – ask about the time that something happened or will happen
- When does the plane leave? It leaves at 10pm.
Where – ask questions about place or position
- Where do you live? I live in London.
Which – ask for information about one of a limited number of things
- Which one do you prefer? The blue one.
Who – ask about someone’s identity
- Who is the director of the school? He is Carlos Samaniego.
Whom – ask about the object (person) in the sentence
- Whom did you meet? I met my teacher.
Whose – ask about possession
- Whose dog is barking outside? It’s Peter’s dog.
Why – ask for the reason
- Why do you study English? Because I like English.
How – ask about the way in which something is done
- How many brothers do you have? I have two brothers.
- How much is this shirt? It’s 15$.
- How long do you want to stay in this hotel? I think one week is enough.
- How often do you go to the cinema? Twice a month.
- How far is your office? It’s about 2km far.
- How old is she? She is 25.
Question Words in English | Picture