Useful words and phrases that can be used at the start of new paragraphs. The following lesson introduces the list of common words and phrases to write better essays with ESL image.
Useful Words and Phrases in English
Usage: To add to what has been previously stated
- Additionally / an additional
- As well as that
- Along with
- In addition
- In addition to this
- Apart from this
- Additionally, the bus service will run on Sundays, every two hours.
- He said he had not discussed the matter with her. Furthermore, he had not even contacted her.
- We are unable to repair this watch. Also, this is the fourth time this has happened.
- I love wearing earrings. I design and make them too.
- We went to the park today. As well as that, we did some shopping.
- Along with parties and parliaments, elections have lost their charm.
- I can’t afford to go to a concert. Besides, I don’t really like classical music.
- You haven’t paid the rent yet. In addition, you owe me money.
- The report is badly presented. Moreover, it contains inaccuracies.
- John’s grades are terrible because he has been so lazy these days. In addition to this, his relationship to his parents got worse.
- Apart from this paragraph, the report contains a number of sensible initiatives.
Usage: To show how things are different
- On the other hand
- Despite/ in spite of
- In contrast (to)
- Even so
- Differing from
- Contrary to
- Unlike most systems, this one is very easy to install.
- There is little chance that we will succeed in changing the law. Nevertheless, it is important that we try.
- Laptops are convenient; On the other hand, they can be expensive.
- The problems are not serious. Nonetheless, we shall need to tackle them soon.
- Despite/ In spite of the rain, I went for a walk.
- In contrast to the diligent bee, the butterfly flies hither and yon with no apparent purpose.
- The agency will make travel arrangements for you. Alternatively, you can organize your own transport.
- Northern European countries had a great summer. On the contrary/conversely, Southern Europe had poor weather.
- Even so, many old friends were shocked at the announcement.
- Differing from his white colleagues, he preferred instructing his scholars to the ambition of acquiring personal renown.
- The situation in Ireland is quite contrary to this principle.
Emphasizing a Point
Usage: To put forward a point or idea more forcefully
- Particularly/ in particular
- Without a doubt
- It should be noted
- Above all
- Undoubtedly, the story itself is one of the main attractions.
- I don’t mind at all. Indeed, I would be delighted to help.
- Obviously, we don’t want to spend too much money.
- I love silver earrings, in particular ones from Mexico
- The car is quite small, especially if you have children.
- Clearly, this will cost a lot more than we realized.
- More importantly, can he be trusted?
- He’s an absolutely brilliant cook.
- I definitely remember sending the letter.
- We still believe we can win this series without a doubt.
- I’m never surprised at what I do.
- It should be noted that if you have something to note, then note it
- Unquestionably, teaching has been a paramount part of his career.
- Above all, this forest is designed for wear and tear.
- This is positively the worst thing that I can even imagine.
Usage: To provide examples
- For example/ For instance
- Such as
- In this case
- Proof of this
- There are many interesting places to visit in the city, for example,/ for instance, the botanical garden or the art museum.
- I prefer to wear casual clothes, such as jeans and a sweatshirt.
- Including Christmas Day and Boxing Day, I’ve got a week off work.
- We need to concentrate on our target audience, namely women aged between 20 and 30.
- I think I would have made a difference in this case.
- This building is a living proof of this existence, so we must preserve it.
- I also make other jewellery like rings and bracelets.
Usage: To indicate the order of what is being said
- First/ firstly (Second/ secondly, Third/ thirdly, Finally)
- At this time
- Above all
- Lastly and most importantly
- Last but not least
- First and foremost
- Firstly, I prefer the train because I can see the landscape.
- At this time, the young man leapt into the air and flew off towards the sunset.
- They arrived on Monday evening and we got there the following day.
- I had visited them three days previously.
- Your name is before mine on the list.
- Subsequently, new guidelines were issued to all employees.
- Above all, keep in touch.
- Lastly, and most importantly, you should be optimistic.
- Last but not least, I find I seriously cannot relate to women.
- We will continue to focus on our players first and foremost.