Linking Words and Phrases – Video
1. Adding information
Uasge: To add to what has been previously stated
- Additionally / an additional
- As well as that
- Along with
- In addition
- In addition to this
- Apart from this
- Additionally, the bus service will run on Sundays, every two hours.
- He said he had not discussed the matter with her. Furthermore, he had not even contacted her.
- We are unable to repair this watch. Also, this is the fourth time this has happened.
- I love wearing earrings. I design and make them too.
- We went to the park today. As well as that, we did some shopping.
- Along with parties and parliaments, elections have lost their charm.
- I can't afford to go to the concert. Besides, I don't really like classical music.
- You haven't paid the rent yet. In addition, you owe me money.
- The report is badly presented. Moreover, it contains inaccuracies.
- John's grades are terrible because he has been so lazy these days. In addition to this, his relationship to his parents got worse.
- Apart from this paragraph, the report contains a number of sensible initiatives.
2. Contrasting ideas
Usage: To show how things are different
- On the other hand
- Despite / in spite of
- In contrast (to)
- Even so
- Differing from
- Contrary to
- Unlike most systems, this one is very easy to install.
- There is little chance that we will succeed in changing the law. Nevertheless, it is important that we try.
- Laptops are convenient; On the other hand, they can be expensive.
- The problems are not serious. Nonetheless, we shall need to tackle them soon.
- Despite/ In spite of the rain, I went for a walk.
- In contrast to the diligent bee, the butterfly flies hither and yon with no apparent purpose.
- The agency will make travel arrangements for you. Alternatively, you can organize your own transport.
- Northern European countries had a great summer. On the contrary/conversely, Southern Europe had poor weather.
- Even so, many old friends were shocked at the announcement.
- Differing from his white colleagues, he preferred instructing his scholars to the ambition of acquiring personal renown.
- The situation in Ireland is quite contrary to this principle.
3. Emphasizing a point
Usage: To put forward a point or idea more forcefully
- Particularly / in particular
- Without a doubt
- It should be noted
- Above all
- Undoubtedly, the story itself is one of the main attractions.
- I don't mind at all. Indeed, I would be delighted to help.
- Obviously, we don't want to spend too much money.
- I love silver earrings, in particular ones from Mexico
- The car is quite small, especially if you have children.
- Clearly, this will cost a lot more than we realized.
- More importantly, can he be trusted?
- He's an absolutely brilliant cook.
- I definitely remember sending the letter.
- We still believe we can win this series without a doubt.
- I'm never surprised at what I do.
- It should be noted that if you have something to note, then note it
- Unquestionably, teaching has been a paramount part of his career.
- Above all, this forest is designed for wear and tear.
- This is positively the worst thing that I can even imagine.
4. Giving examples
Usage: To provide examples
- For example/ For instance
- Such as
- In this case
- Proof of this
- There are many interesting places to visit in the city, for example/ for instance, the botanical garden or the art museum.
- I prefer to wear casual clothes, such as jeans and a sweatshirt.
- Including Christmas Day and Boxing Day, I've got a week off work.
- We need to concentrate on our target audience, namely women aged between 20 and 30.
- I think I would have made a difference in this case.
- This building are a living proof of this existence, so we must preserve it.
- I also make other jewellery like rings and bracelets.
5. Sequencing ideas
Usage: To indicate the order of what is being said
- First/ firstly (Second/ secondly, Third/ thirdly, Finally)
- At this time
- Above all
- Lastly and most importantly
- Last but not least
- First and foremost
- Firstly, I prefer the train because I can see the landscape.
- At this time, the young man leapt into the air and flew off towards sunset.
- They arrived on Monday evening and we got there the following day.
- I had visited them three days previously.
- Your name is before mine on the list.
- Subsequently, new guidelines were issued to all employees.
- Above all, keep in touch.
- Lastly, and most importantly, you should be optimistic.
- Last but not least, I find I seriously cannot relate to women.
- We will continue to focus on our players first and foremost.