Learn different words and phrases to describe how you feel in English.
Useful Words and Phrases to Describe How You Feel
Describing Someone’s Feelings and Emotions – Video
Feelings and Emotions Vocabulary Word List
Providing or experiencing physical well-being or relief
Filled with the emotional impact of overwhelming surprise
Having unexpected good luck
Hopeful that the best will happen in the future
Experiencing or manifesting pleasure
Able to act at will
Serving or tending to excite or stimulate
Inspired with confidence
Expressing compassion or friendly fellow feelings
Emotional Phrases to Express the Feelings
1. Feelings of happiness
- Jason was whistling merrily as he walked home from school.
- Mary looked very pleased when her friends sang her a song.
- Steve was grinning from ear to ear when his parents praised him.
- Julian flushed with delight when he was declared as the winner of the competition.
- Peter skipped home cheerfully after school.
- The girls were in high spirits when they realised that they have made it to the final round of the singing competition.
- The dog wagged its tail happily as it followed its owner for a walk in the park.
She was as happy as a lark.
2. Speech (Feelings of happiness)
- That was amazing!” Jill cried in delight.
- Thank you so much!” Lucy exclaimed joyfully as the boy returned the wallet to her.
- Look what I have found! A brand new wallet!” she exclaimed gleefully.
- My favourite ice-cream!” James squealed in delight.
- I am sure we will make it to the next round!” said Peter, smiling from ear to ear.
3. Feelings of excitement
- I was so excited that I could hardly sleep.
- His heart pounded in excitement as he raced towards the park.
- Jane was head over heels with excitement when Mrs Tan told her that the class would be going to the cinema.
- Michelle trembled with excitement as she opened the mystery gift.
- There was a buzz of excitement in the air as the teams get ready to for the match.
- I felt a jolt of excitement when Miss Lee told me that I won the first prize in the Math quiz.
4. Feelings of surprise
- I was truly amazed when the magician turned the girl into a rabbit.
- He was deeply puzzled by the treasure chest in the corner. “What could be inside?” he wondered.
- Jessica was fascinated by the tricks that she saw in the magic show.
- To her great surprise, no one was in the room.
- Her eyes widened in surprise as the thief approached her.
- Mandy could not believe her eyes when she saw so many gifts on her table.
- My eyes nearly popped out when I saw the prize tag on the dress.
- The news took him by surprise.
5. Feelings of anger
- She went red with fury when she realized that someone took her bag away.
- The principal was very crossed with the pupils who played truant.
- The girl glared at the bullies angrily.
- She blew her top when she was scolded for no reason.
- His face was as black as thundercloud. No one dared to go near him.
- Jimmy clenched his fists in anger and went up to the bullies.
- Jack’s father was fuming with anger when he could not find Jack in his room.
6. Feelings of disappointment
- The teacher was utterly disappointed by the pupils’ results.
- She felt disheartened when she was not chosen to be on the school team.
- Mary hung her head in disappointment when she failed the test.
- Her hopes were dashed when she learnt that she was not selected for the play.
- Susan was dealt with a big blow when her dog passed away.
- She looked so sad and crestfallen.
- “I can’t believe we lost the game!” John cried out in dismay.
- Disappointment was written all over her face.
7. Feelings of fear
- As the sound of the footsteps became louder, my body started to shiver with fear.
- May turned pale with fright as the snake glided towards her.
- I could hear my heart pounding so fast.
- I stay rooted to the ground, unable to move as I was paralysed with fear.
- The trip has become a total nightmare for them.
- “Look out!” Danny shrieked in fright.
- Joline yelled out in fear as she saw two bears running towards her.
- I got cold feet at the last minute and decided not to go on the roller coaster ride.
8. Feelings of tiredness
- I was completely exhausted after a long day at work.
- She collapsed in exhaustion on her big bed.
- Samuel rubbed his weary eyes, trying to keep himself awake.
- He dozed off immediately after he sat on the couch.
- After a night of computer games, his eyes were bleary.
9. Feelings of curiosity
- Luke’s curious eyes noticed everything around him.
- Out of curiosity, she decided to open the black box.
- Rachel pokes her nose into everything and she was known as the busybody in the class.