1. See off
- Meaning: Go to the airport or station to say goodbye to someone
- E.g. They’ve gone to the airport to see their son off.
2. Set off
- Start a journey
- E.g. We set off for Paris just after ten.
3. Get in
- Arrive (train, plane)
- E.g. The train got in late.
4. Hold up
- Delay when travelling
- E.g. Sorry I’m late – I was held up at work.
5. Take off
- When a plane departs or leaves the ground
- E.g. The plane took off an hour late.
6. Check in
- Arrive and register at a hotel or airport
- E.g. Please check in at least an hour before departure.
7. Get off
- Leave a bus, train, plane
- E.g. We get off at the next station.
8. Check out
- Leave the hotel after paying
- E.g. We checked out at noon.
9. Get away
- To have a holiday or vacation
- E.g. We're hoping to get away for a few days at Easter.
10. Get on
- Enter a bus, train, plane, to climb on board
- E.g. I think we got on the wrong bus.
11. Drop off
- Take someone to a place and leave them there
- E.g. I’ll drop you off on my way home.
12. Pick up
- Let someone get into your car and take them somewhere
- E.g. I’ll pick you up at the station.
13. Set out
- Start a journey, especially a long journey
- E.g. They set out on the last stage of their journey.
14. Speed up
- Increase speed
- E.g. Can you try and speed things up a bit?
15. Look around
- Explore what is near you, in your area
- E.g. People came out of their houses and looked around.
16. Hurry up
- Rush and not waste time
- E.g. Hurry up! We're going to be late.
17. Go back
- Go the place someone is leaving from to say goodbye
- E.g. Dave and I go back twenty years.
18. Look forward
- Look forward to something that is going to happen in the future
- E.g. I'm looking forward to the weekend.
19. Stop over
- Stay somewhere for a short time during a long journey
- E.g. I wanted to stop over in India on the way to Australia.
20. Check in
- Confirm you are taking a flight (online or at airport)
- E.g. I usually check in online.
21. Check in/out
- Confirm your arrival/departure at a hotel
- E.g. We have to check out before 11:00.
22. Drop sby/sth off
- Take somebody/something to a place (usually by car)
- E.g. Where do you want me to drop you off?
23. Get away
- Escape a place (for a holidays)
- E.g. I need to get away for a few days.
24. Get in
- Arrive at the station/airport
- E.g. What time does your flight get in?
25. Get on/off
- Get onto/off a bus, a train, plane
- E.g. Get on the northbound train at Penn Station.
26. Pick sby/sth up
- Go to where somebody is leaving from to say goodbye
- E.g. Will you come to see me off at the airport?
27. Set off/out
- Begin a journey
- E.g. We have to set off very early on Saturday.
28. Stop over
- Stay at a place on the way to your final destination
- E.g. On my way to Rio, I stopped over in Paris for a night.
29. Take off
- Leave the ground (planes)
- E.g. The plane’s going to take off. Hold my hand!
30. Touch down
- Land (planes)
- E.g. Our flight touches down before midday.