We use TO in these cases:
- We’re going to Paris.
- I’m going to school.
- My Mom went to the dentist yesterday.
- The apple fell to the ground
2. What time it is
- It’s a quarter to 2.
- It is quarter to six.
- It’s about ten miles from my house to the university.
- I prefer sleeping to working.
- She prefer walking to riding
- I gave the book to my sister.
- He gave a to his daughter on her birthday.
6. Motive/Reason – with verb
- I came here to see you.
- He worked hard to earn money.
- I want to talk to you.
We use FOR in these cases:
- Yogurt is good for your digestion.
- Vitamin A is good for eyesight
2. Period of time
- We’ve lived here for 2 years.
- I have been waiting for her for 2 hours
- I made an appointment for May 3.
4. Agree with
- Are you for or against the development of nuclear weapons?
5. Doing something to help someone
- Could you carry these books for me?
6. Motive/Reason – with noun
- Let’s go out for a drink.
- We stopped at the pub for a drink.
- I went to London for a conference.
7. Function – with verb (-ing form)
- A ladle is a big spoon used for serving soup.
- An altimeter is used for measuring height above sea level