Standard Units of Measurement in English! The following lesson provides the list of standard units of measurement for length-weight, and capacity in English.
Standard Units of Measurement
The metric system is an internationally agreed decimal system of measurement.
1. Capacity: Capacity measure the amount an object can hold.
2. Length and distance: Length is the measurement of an object, and distance is the measurement of between two places.
3. Weight: Weight measures the heaviness of something.
In Britain we use a mixture of imperial and metric measurement. Imperial measurement are the old measurement, such as feet, inches, ounces and gallons.
We know that the two main units for the measurement of capacity are liter and milliliter. In short liter is written as ‘l‘ and milliliter as ‘ml‘.
We know that the standard unit of length is ‘Meter’ which is written in short as ‘m’.
A meter length is divided into 100 equal parts.
Each part is named centimeter and written in short as ‘cm’.
Thus, 1 m = 100 cm and 100 cm = 1 m
The long distances are measured in kilometer. This kilometer equals to 1000 meters. The kilometer is written in short as km.
1 kilometer (km) = 1000 meters (m) and 1000 m = 1 km
We know the main standard unit of mass or weight is kilogram which we write in short as ‘kg’. 1000th part of this kilogram is gram which is written in short as ‘g’.
Thus 1000 gram = 1 kilogram and 1 kilogram = 1000 gram
i.e. 1000 g = 1 kg and 1 kg = 1000 g.
This gram (g) is a very small unit of mass.
- Comforting Words: Expressing Empathy and Support in Tough Times - December 9, 2023
- Contraction Words Simplified: Enhancing Your English Vocabulary and Writing - December 9, 2023
- 1st Grade Spelling Words: Essential Vocabulary for Young Writers - December 9, 2023