Comprehension is the reason for reading. If readers can read the words but do not understand or connect to what they are reading, they are not really reading. This lesson provides useful reading comprehension strategies for English language learners.
Reading Comprehension Strategies
Read Carefully & Get the Gist
- What is the text mainly about?
- What questions are you asking yourself?
- What do you notice right away?
- Circle words that you don’t understand.
- Use context clues to figure out unknown words.
Read Again & Dig Deeper
- Why did the author write the text?
- What text features stand out?
- Underline key vocabulary words.
- Summarize the text.
Read One Last Time & Think
- What inferences did you make about the text?
- What connections did you make to the text?
- Use the text to answer question.
- Gather text evidence from the text.
Ways to Read A Book
1. Read the pictures
2. Read the words
3. Retell the story