Prepositions are often very small words, but that doesn’t stop them having a lot of different roles.
Prepositions of Place and Movement | Video
Prepositions of Time, Place and Movement
A preposition is a word or set of words that indicates location (in, near, beside, on top of) or some other relationship between a noun or pronoun and other parts of the sentence (about, after, besides, instead of, in accordance with). A preposition isn’t a preposition unless it goes with a related noun or pronoun, called the object of the preposition.
In this topic, we will learn …
Prepositions of Time
A preposition of time is a preposition that allows you to discuss a specific time period such as a date on the calendar, one of the days of the week, or the actual time something takes place. Prepositions of time are the same words as prepositions of place, however they are used in a different way. You can easily distinguish these prepositions, as they always discuss times rather than places.
- Meet me at five o’clock.
- I work all day on Saturdays.
- He likes to read in the evening.
- He worked for twenty years.
Prepositions of Place
Prepositions of place describe the position of a person or thing in relation to another person or thing.
Now look at these example sentences:
- There is a cup on the table.
- The helicopter hovered above the house.
- The police placed a sheet over the body.
- He stood in front of the door and rang the bell.
- Ram sat beside Tara.
- A small stream runs below that bridge.
- He put the key under the doormat.
- He put his hands behind his back.
Prepositions of Movement
Prepositions of movement are used to show movement from one place to another. These prepositions are most often used with verbs of motion and are found after the verb.
- I go to school by bus.
- You must walk across the street at the crosswalk.
- He’s walking along the path.
- You must drive around the city center to reach the cinema.
- We are going down to Florida this summer.
- We went into the shop on the corner.
- We get off the train at the next stop.
- Walk past the theater on the right and the bank is on the left.