Learn plant and flower vocabulary in English through pictures.
Plants include familiar types such as trees, herbs, bushes, grasses, vines, ferns, mosses, and green algae. Most plants grow in the ground, with stems above the atmosphere, and roots below. Some float on water.
Plant and Flower Vocabulary in English
Plants and Trees Vocabulary – Video
Flower is a special kind of plant part. Flowers are also called the bloom or blossom of a plant. The flower grows on a stalk – a thin node – which supports it. Flowers have petals. Inside the part of the flower that has petals are the parts which produce pollen and seeds.
A plant needs sunlight, carbon dioxide, minerals and water to make food by photosynthesis. A green substance in plants called chlorophyll traps the energy from the Sun needed to make food.
- Wildflower – The wildflowers will be incredible after this rain.
- Thistle – A purple thistle sewn to the pocket of a school blazer.
- Flower – A single flower does not make a spring.
- Herb – They usually ate the herb raw.
- Mushroom – We ate mushroom until we came to the Mekong.
- Weed – The pond is full of weed.
- Fern – The trunk of a tree fern.
- Cattail – Muskrats feed on wetland vegetation, such as cattails and water lilies.
- Reed – Reeds grew in clumps all along the river bank.
- Bamboo – The piece of bamboo makes a musical sound.
- Ivy – The walls were covered in ivy.
- Shrub – She ran round the outside of the house, barging past bushes and shrubs.
- Moss – The moss was soft and furry to the touch.
A flower is a special kind of plant part. Flowers are also called the bloom or blossom of a plant. The flowergrows on a stalk – a thin node – which supports it.
Flowers have petals. Inside the part of the flower that has petals are the parts which produce pollen and seeds. Flowers are the reproductive structure of flowering plants.
List of flower names in English:
- Tulip – What color is the tulip? I asked him again.
- Daffodil – The daffodil belongs to the genus narcissus.
- Poppy – I have not seen a cultivated poppy as good as this anywhere
- Sunflower – Even without the sun, sunflower can still smile.
- Bluebell – Bluebells grow in profusion in this valley in April and May.
- Rose – There is no rose without a thorn.
- Snowdrop – The snowdrops are just beginning to come up.
- Cherry blossom – The cherry blossom came out early in Washington this year.
- Orchid – The orchid is a class of plant which I have never tried to grow.
- Iris – Irises are perennial plants, growing from creeping rhizomes.
- Peony – Peony is one of my favourite flowers.
- Chrysanthemum – The tea tasted faintly of chrysanthemum.
Different Parts of A Plant
A plant is made up of many different parts. The three main parts are: the roots, the leaves, and the stem. Each part of a plant has very important functions.
- Seed – She grew all the broccoli plants from seed.
- Sprout – A sprout can take just so much and then no more.
- Stem – Cut the stem cleanly, just beneath a leaf joint.
- Leaf – I am perhaps the only person who ever saw that leaf.
- Berry – The berries had long ago withered on the tree.
- Bud – The bud develops into a flower.
- Flower – The plant has a brilliant red flower.