English phrases used on the phone are a set of expressions and words that are commonly used in telephone conversations. These phrases are used to facilitate communication and make it smoother and more efficient. Here are some common phrases on the phone that you should learn to use in your daily conversation.
Common Phrases on the Phone
These phrases include both formal and informal language and are used in various situations such as making or answering calls, leaving messages, and transferring calls. Some common examples of English phrases on the phone include “Hello, can I speak to [name] please?”, “Can I have your phone number?”, “Can you hold please?”, “Can you spell that for me?”, and “Can you repeat that please?”. These phrases are essential for effective communication on the phone and are widely used in both personal and professional settings.
- Hi, this is…
- May I speak with…?(formal)
- I’m calling about…
- I’m returning your call.
- One moment, please. (Formal)
- Hang on a second. (Informal)
- He/she is not here. Would you like to live a message?
- Could you ask him to call me back?
- Thanks for calling.
- “Hello, can I speak to [name] please?”
- “Can I have your phone number?”
- “Can you hold please?”
- “Can you spell that for me?”
- “Can you repeat that please?”
- “Can I call you back later?”
- “Thank you for calling.”
- “Please call again.”
- “I’m sorry, he/she is not available at the moment.”
- “I’m sorry, I didn’t catch that. Could you repeat it?”
- “I’m sorry, we’ve been disconnected.”
- “I’ll transfer you now.”
- “Please leave a message after the beep.”
- “I’m sorry, you have the wrong number.”
- “Can you speak up, please? I can’t hear you very well.”
Learn more about useful telephone phrasal verbs in English.
Common Phrases on the Phone | Image