Learn Math Vocabulary in English through pictures and video.
The language of mathematics is the system used by mathematician to communicate mathematical ideas among themselves. This language consists of a substrate of some natural language (for example English) using technical terms and grammatical conventions that are peculiar to mathematical discourse, supplemented by a highly specialized symbolic notation for mathematical formulas.
Learn Mathematics Language through Pictures
How to Say and Write Numbers in English
- An angle equal to 1/4 turn (90° or π/2 radians) is called a right angle. Two lines that form a right angle are said to be normal, orthogonal, or perpendicular.
- A pair of angles opposite each other, formed by two intersecting straight lines that form an “X”-like shape, are called vertical angles or opposite angles or vertically opposite angles.
- Angles larger than a right angle and smaller than a straight angle (between 90° and 180°) are called obtuse angles (“obtuse” meaning “blunt”).
- An angle equal to 1/2 turn (180° or π radians) is called a straight angle.
- Angles larger than a straight angle but less than 1 turn (between 180° and 360°) are called reflex angles.
- An angle equal to 1 turn (360° or 2π radians) is called a full angle, complete angle, or a perigon.
- Angles that are not right angles or a multiple of a right angle are called oblique angles.