How to write an effective business letter in English. The following lesson introduces the way to write a business letter properly with useful examples and ESL image.
How to Write a Business Letter
- Business letters are formal paper communications between, to or from businesses
- Business letters are sometimes called “snail-mail” (in contrast to email which is faster).
- Business letters includes: Letter, Memo, Fax, Email
Who write business letters?
Letters are written from a person/group, known as the sender to a person/group, known in business as the recipient.
Some examples of senders and recipients:
- business «» business
- business «» consumer
- job applicant «» company
- citizen «» government official
- employee «» employee
- staff member «» staff member
Why write business letters?
- To persuade
- To inform
- To request
- To express thanks
- To remind
- To recommend
- To apologize
- To congratulate
- To reject a proposal or offer
- To introduce a person or policy
- To invite or welcome
- To follow up
- To formalize decisions
Common Errors in Business Writing
Here are some common errors in business writing that you should notice:
Use of informal phrases in business writing is a major error.
- Mr.brown kicked the bucket on x day.
- Mr. Brown died on x day.
Writing Dated on is incorrect but is used commonly.
- Thank you for writing the letter dated on 17-March-2010.(Incorrect)
- Thank you for writing the letter dated 17-March-2010. (correct)
3. Over and More Than
The word over is used for describing a physical position.
For example, The bridge led over the pond.
- Wrong usage: Over 50 males participated in the race.
- Correction: More than 50 males participated in the race.
4. Wordy Expressions
Using wordy expressions when a small one can do, is another common mistake
- Due to the fact that she was attending the meeting…
- Or Since she was attending the meeting…
5. Possessive form and contractions
The possessive form of it is often mixed with its contraction.
- When is our next meeting. Please confirm its date. ( Correct )
- When is our next meeting. Please confirm it’s date. ( Incorrect )
How to Write An Effective Business Letter | Image