Simple tips for writing essays in English: these steps will guide you through the essay writing process…
Despite the fact that, as Shakespeare said, “the pen is mightier than the sword,” the pen itself is not enough to make an effective writer. In fact, though we may all like to think of ourselves as the next Shakespeare, inspiration alone is not the key to effective essay writing. You see, the conventions of English essays are more formulaic than you might think – and, in many ways, it can be as simple as counting to five.
Every one of us is able to write a perfect essay when we have enough time, but there comes a time you are required to write an essay quickly. This can be overwhelming at times but with the right planning and management of time, it is surely achievable.
This can be done whether it is in the examination room or it is because of a tight deadline that is imposed by the instructor that is unbeatable or due to a very busy schedule that made you do the essay in the last minute and any other reason. However, it is possible to deliver a great essay even when time is not on your side, and in this article, we will show you how to write a great essay quickly.
List of useful transition words and phrases to write a great essay.
Writing Essays in English
Tips for Writing Essay
- Start writing early – the earlier the better. Starting cuts down on anxiety, beats procrastination, and gives you time to develop your ideas.
- Keep the essay question in mind. Don’t lose track of the question or task. Keep a copy in front of you as you draft and edit and work out your argument.
- Don’t try to write an essay from beginning to end (especially not in a single sitting). Begin with what you are ready to write – a plan, a few sentences or bullet points. Start with the body and work paragraph by paragraph.
- Write the introduction and conclusion after the body.Once you know what your essay is about, then write the introduction and conclusion.
- Use ‘signpost’ words in your writing. Transition signals can help the reader follow the order and flow of your ideas.
- Integrate your evidence carefully.Introduce quotations and paraphrases with introductory phrases.
- Revise your first draft extensively. Make sure the entire essay flows and that the paragraphs are in a logical order.
- Put the essay aside for a few days.This allows you to consider your essay and edit it with a fresh eye.
- Plural of Success in the English Grammar - November 15, 2023
- Plural of Canvas: How to Use It Correctly in English Grammar - November 7, 2023
- Plural of Prince: A Quick Guide for English Learners! - October 3, 2023