If we add -ever to wh – words like how, what, which, when, where and who, we change their meaning.
Whatever – Whoever – Whenever – Wherever – Whichever – However
Meaning: “any way at all” or “it doesn’t matter how”
- Aunt Amelia can’t give up smoking her cigarettes, however much she tried.
(This means that it’s not important how many times she tried to give up smoking.)
- However sick Jared feels, he will still go for his daily jogging.
(It means that it doesn’t whether Jared feels a little sick or very sick.)
- However you look at it, it’s going to cost a lot.
Meaning: “anything at all” or “it doesn’t matter what”
- Please take whatever you want from the fridge if you feel hungry. (anything at all that you want)
- Whatever you do, don’t lose this key.
- Whatever you do, try your best.
Meaning: “any one at all” or “it doesn’t matter which”
- Bruce will wear his red or green sweater, whichever is clean.
(There is a choice between the red or green sweater, so I need to use whichever here. Whichever means one of the two.)
- Whichever day you come, we will be pleased to see you.
- Whichever date you choose for the barbecue, let me know a few days in advance so I can plan it in my schedule.
Meaning: “any time at all” or “it doesn’t matter when”
- John rides his bike whenever the weather is good.
(This means that at any time the weather is good, John takes out his bike to go for a ride.)
- Whenever Josie feels like eating chocolate, she goes to the gym instead.
(So this means that when there is a time when Josie wants to eat chocolate, she goes to the gym.)
- Whenever I go to London I feel like a provincial.
Meaning: “any place at all” or “it doesn’t matter where”
- You can use our international services wherever you are in the world.
(This means you can use the telephone card in any place. It doesn’t matter where you are.)
- John takes a picture wherever he sees an interesting sculpture.
- Wherever we are going, as long as we are together.
Meaning: “any person at all” or “it doesn’t matter who”
- Whoever has eaten the last piece of cake is welcome to bake a new one.
(This means that it doesn’t matter which person ate the cake. It can be any person. But that person is the one we mean.)
- Whoever made this cake is a real artist.
Whatever – Whoever – Whenever – Wherever – Whichever – However – Image