Learn how to describe people in English including appearance, character traits and emotions.
How to Describe People in English
An adjective is a describing word, the main syntactic role of which is to qualify a noun or noun phrase, giving more information about the object signified.
In this lesson, we will learn useful Adjectives to describe people in three ways:
1. Describing someone’s appearance
2. Describing someone’s character and personality
3. Describing someone’s feelings & emotions
How to Describe a Person in English
1. Describing Someone’s Appearance
Appearance is defined as the way someone or something looks.
This is list of adjectives to describe a person’s appearance:
- beautiful (My younger sister is very beautiful.)
- handsome (He’s the most handsome man I’ve ever met.)
- cute (That’s a cute little baby.)
- thin (She was looking pale and thin.)
- tall (She’s tall and thin.)
- chubby (She was eleven years old and pretty in a chubby sort of way.)
- muscular (He was tall, lean and muscular.)
- attractive (The actress is an attractive woman.)
2. Describing Someone’s Character and Personality
Character traits are qualities or characteristics that describe what a person is like. It’s important to be able to describe your own personality or someone else’s.
Here is a list of English Adjectives to describe someone’s personality.
- polite (Please be polite to our guests.)
- friendly (Everyone was very friendly towards me.)
- honest (He was a hard-working honest man.)
- generous (She’s always very generous to the kids.)
- rude (She was very rude about my driving.)
- lazy (He is the laziest boy in the class.)
- angry (I was very angry with myself for making such a stupid mistake.)
3. Describing Someone’s Feelings & Emotions
Sometimes it’s hard to explain exactly how you feel. This vocabulary list helps you narrow down exactly what word best expresses your current emotional state.
- terrified (She looked at him with wide, terrified eyes.)
- exhausted (You look absolutely exhausted.)
- scared (People are scared to use the buses late at night.)
- nervous (She was so nervous about her exams that she couldn’t sleep.)
- embarrassed (She’s embarrassed about her height.)
Sunday 7th of November 2021
Monday 26th of July 2021
very useful. thank you
Tuesday 13th of April 2021
I want to know how to downoald these djectives
Thursday 1st of April 2021
The best thing about this place
Tuesday 23rd of March 2021
This is the best