1. ASKING A FAVOR
- Can you give me a hand with this?
- Could you help me for a second?
- Can I ask a favour?
- I wonder if you could help me with this?
- I could do with some help, please.
- I can't manage. Can you help?
- Give me a hand with this, will you?
- Lend me a hand with this, will you?
- Could you spare a moment?
- I need some help, please.
2. ASKING FOR APPROVAL
- Do you think it's all right to do it?
- What do you think about (me doing that)?
- Do you think / reckon I ought to (do it)?
- What would you say if I (did it)?
- Would you approve of (doing something)?
- What is your attitude to the idea of...
- Are you in favour of (me doing something)?
- You are in favour of ... aren't you?
- Do you think anyone would mind if I...
- Do you think it would be really awful if I..
3. ASKING FOR DIRECTIONS
* Asking for Directions:
- Excuse me! Can you tell me the way to the…?
- Excuse me! How do I get to the…?
- Excuse me! Where the…is?
- Excuse me! Is there a…near here?
- What’s the best way to…?
- Are you from around here?
- I'm looking for this address..
- Are we on the right road for…?
- Is this the right way for…?
- Can you show me on the map?
* Giving Directions
- Go straight ahead.
- Go along the street.
- Turn left.
- Turn right.
- Take the first/ second turning on the left/right
- Cross the street.
- Go past.
- Go through the park/…
- Go across the bridge.
- Go as far as the roundabout….
- The easiest/ quickest way is to..
- Take+ road name
- Stay on + road name for + distance or time.
- It's on + street name.
- It's across from.
- It's opposite.
- It's near.
- It's around the corner from.
- It's this way.
* Where is the…?
- Is it far (from here)?
- Is it a long way?
- How far is it to the airport?
- It's not far (from here).
- It's quite close.
- It's quite a long way.
- It takes a while.
- It's a long way on foot.
- It's a long way to walk.
- It's about a five minute walk.
* How far is it?
- The school is…
- On your right/left.
- Round the corner.
- On the corner of…and…
- Next to the…
- Opposite the…
- Between the…and the...
- In front of the…
* IF YOU CAN'T HELP:
- I'm sorry, I don't know
- Sorry, I'm not from around here.
- I'm afraid I can't help you.
- You could ask the bus driver.
4. ASKING PEOPLE TO WAIT
- Hang on a moment / a mo.
- Give us a second.
- Half a moment / a mo.
- I'll be right with you.
- Sorry, I'm a bit tied up right now.
- Wait and see.
- You'll just have to be patient.
- Give me a chance.
- Don't be so impatient.
- We wish to apologise for the delay to...