Useful expressions for giving directions and asking for directions when you’re in a new town. Below is the list of how to ask for and give directions in English you should learn.
How to Ask for and Give Directions
Useful Phrases: Asking for Directions
- Could you tell me how to get to…?
- How do I find…?
- Pardon me, I’m lost, how do I get to…?
- Which is the best way to…?
- Could you direct me to…?
- How do I get to…?
- What’s the best way to…?
- Where is…?
- Excuse me, How can I go to…?
- Can you tell me the way to…?
- Excuse me, could you tell me how to get to the bus station
- Excuse me, do you know where the post office?
- Are you from around here?
- I’m looking for this address.
- Are we on the right road for…?
- Is this the right way for…
- Do you have a map?
- Can you show me on the map?
Useful Phrases: Giving Directions
- The easiest way is to…
- The quickest way is to…
- The best way is to…
- Turn back/ Go back
- Turn left/ right (into…-street/at the end of…)
- Go along…
- Take the first/ second road on the left/right
- It’s on the left/right.
- Go up/down
- It’s about 50 meters from here
- It’s on you right/left
- It’s in the middle of the block
- It’s on the corner
- It’s next to/ across/ between/ in front of…
- Drive to… street and turn left/right
- Go straight ahead…
- It’s this way/that way
- You’re going the wrong way
- You’re going the wrong direction
- Take this road
- Go down there
- Take the first on the left
- Take the second on the right
- Turn right at the crossroads
- Continue straight ahead for about a mile
- Continue past the fire station
- You’ll pass a supermarket on your left
- It’ll be on your left/right
- It’ll be straight ahead of you
Useful Phrases: How Far Is It?
- Is it far (From here)?
- Is it a long way?
- How far is it to the airport?
- It’s not far (From here).
- It’s just around the corner.
- It’s quite close.
- It’s quite a long way.
- It takes a while.
- It’s a long way on foot.
- It’s a long way to walk.
- It’s about a five-minute walk.
- It’s about a ten-minute walk.
- It’s about a twenty-minute bus ride.
- It’s about a mile from here.
Useful Phrases: If You Can’t Help
- I’m sorry, I don’t know.
- Sorry, I’m not from around here.
- I’m afraid I can’t help you.
- You could ask the bus driver.
Useful Phrases: Offer Warnings
- Stay in the right lane
- It’s a very busy road.
- It’s a big hill (if they are walking or on a bike)
- There might be construction.
- If you pass the…you went too far.
- There’s no parking.
Useful Phrases: Offer Another Solution