Furniture refers to the movable objects in a room or building that are used to make it comfortable and functional, such as tables, chairs, beds, and sofas. In this lesson, you will learn a list of some common furniture vocabulary in English
Furniture includes objects such as tables, chairs, beds, desks, dressers, or cupboards…v
Furniture refers to movable objects intended to support various human activities such as sitting (e.g., chairs, stools, and sofas), eating (tables), and sleeping (e.g., beds). Furniture is also used to hold objects at a convenient height for work (as horizontal surfaces above the ground, such as tables and desks), or to store things (e.g., cupboards and shelves). Furniture can be a product of design and is considered a form of decorative art.
In addition to furniture’s functional role, it can serve a symbolic or religious purpose. It can be made from many materials, including metal, plastic, and wood. Furniture can be made using a variety of woodworking joints which often reflect the local culture.
Most kitchens and bathrooms have cabinets where you can store pots, pans, dishes, and non-perishable foods.
A drawer is another place to store things. Many houses have a “junk drawer” where you put random items that don’t fit anywhere else.
A carpet is a floor covering that is made of fabric. A carpet covers a large area (usually the whole room), differently from a rug, which covers a smaller area.
This type of window covering is called curtains.
A chair is a piece of furniture with a raised surface supported by legs, commonly used to seat a single person.
A bed is a piece of furniture which is used as a place to sleep or relax.
List of Furniture
Here is a list of some common furniture items:
- Table (coffee table, dining table, bedside table, etc.)
- Chair (armchair, rocking chair, dining chair, etc.)
- Sofa (sectional, recliner, etc.)
- Bed (platform bed, sleigh bed, daybed, etc.)
- Cabinet (china cabinet, storage cabinet, wardrobe, etc.)
- Dresser (chest of drawers, changing table, etc.)
- Desk (writing desk, computer desk, etc.)
- Lamp (floor lamp, table lamp, etc.)
- Clock (wall clock, mantel clock, etc.)
- TV stand
- File cabinet
- Bean bag chair
List of Furniture with example sentences
Here is a list of common furniture items with example sentences:
- Chair – “I’ll pull up a chair so we can sit and chat.”
- Table – “Let’s gather around the table for dinner.”
- Sofa – “I’m going to relax on the sofa and watch TV.”
- Bed – “It’s time for bed, let’s go sleep.”
- Dresser – “I keep my clothes in the dresser in my room.”
- Bookshelf – “I have all my favorite books on the bookshelf.”
- Desk – “I do my homework at my desk in my room.”
- Cabinet – “The dishes are stored in the kitchen cabinet.”
- Nightstand – “I keep a lamp and my phone on my nightstand.”
- Ottoman – “You can use the ottoman as extra seating.”
- Rocking chair – “I love to rock in the rocking chair and read a book.”
- Armchair – “I’m going to sit in the armchair and take a nap.”
- Futon – “This futon doubles as a couch and a bed.”
- Bean bag – “The kids love to play video games on the bean bag.”
Learn English Vocabulary for Furniture | Image