The human body is an incredibly complex and fascinating system of parts that work together to keep us alive and functioning. From our heads to our toes, there are a variety of different parts of the body that all have specific roles and functions.
In this lesson, we will be exploring the different parts of the body, including the major organs, bones, muscles, and more. By the end of this lesson, you will have a solid understanding of the basic vocabulary related to the human body.
Parts of the Body Vocabulary
List of Parts of the Body Vocabulary
There are those parts located outside (external body parts) and others located inside the body (internal body parts) :
- Sublingual glands
- Small intestine
- Large intestine
These internal and external body parts have various functions in the body, such as digestion, excretion, breathing, circulation,reproduction.
Parts of the Body Vocabulary with Example Sentences
Head: The head is the uppermost part of the body, containing the brain, eyes, ears, nose, and mouth.
- Example: The head of the statue was carved from marble.
Neck: The neck is the part of the body connecting the head to the torso.
- Example: She tilted her neck to get a better look at the painting.
Shoulders: The shoulders are the joints where the upper arms connect to the torso.
- Example: He shrugged his shoulders to indicate he didn’t know the answer.
Arms: The arms are the parts of the body extending from the shoulders to the hands.
- Example: He crossed his arms in front of his chest.
Elbows: The elbows are the joint connecting the upper arm to the lower arm.
- Example: She leaned on her elbow while she read.
Hands: The hands are the body parts at the end of the arms, consisting of the fingers and palms.
- Example: He clapped his hands to show his appreciation.
Fingers: The fingers are the digits of the hand used for grasping and manipulating objects.
- Example: She held up her finger to indicate she had one more thing to say.
Torso: The torso is the central part of the body, between the neck and the legs, containing the organs of the chest and abdomen.
- Example: He had a tattoo of a dragon on his torso.
Waist: The waist is the part of the body located between the chest and the hips.
- Example: She cinched her waist with a belt to accentuate her figure.
Legs: The legs are the parts of the body extending from the hips to the feet.
- Example: He crossed his legs while he sat.
Knees: The knees are the joints connecting the thigh to the lower leg.
- Example: She knelt down to tie her shoelaces.
Feet: The feet are the lowermost parts of the legs, used for standing and walking.
- Example: He kicked his feet up on the coffee table to relax.
Human Body Parts | Image
External body parts are those parts located outside the body and can be seen:
3. Upper limb
- Pectoral girdle
4. Lower limb
- Pelvic girdle