Laboratory equipment refers to the various tools and equipment used by scientists working in a laboratory. Laboratory equipment is generally used to either perform an experiment or to take measurements and gather data.
Larger or more sophisticated equipment is generally called a scientific instrument. Both laboratory equipment and scientific instruments are increasingly being designed and shared using open hardware principles.
Laboratory Equipment Names
List of some common laboratory equipment & scientific instruments:
- Accelerator – a machine used in scientific research that makes particles (=parts of atoms) move faster
- Beaker – a glass or plastic container with straight sides that is used in a laboratory
- Bell jar – a piece of equipment that is made of glass and shaped like a bell, used to surround other equipment during scientific experiments
- Boiling tube – a glass container used in scientific experiments, consisting of a wide tube that is open at one end only. Boiling tubes are similar to test tubes but they are larger.
- Bunsen burner – a piece of equipment that produces a gas flame, used for scientific experiments in a laboratory
- Burette – a glass tube marked with a scale and with a tap at the bottom. It is used in laboratories for allowing a small measured amount of a liquid to flow into something.
- Centrifuge – a machine that uses centrifugal force to separate heavier substances from lighter ones by spinning them round in a container
- Condenser – a piece of equipment that changes gases into liquids
- Electron microscope – a very powerful microscope that uses waves of electrons instead of light
- Filter – an object or piece of equipment that allows you to remove solid parts that are not wanted from a liquid or gas
- Incubator – a piece of equipment used for keeping eggs, cells, or microorganisms at a particular temperature
- Microscope – a piece of equipment for looking at things that are too small to see normally
- Test tube – a long thin glass container that is open at one end and is used in laboratories
Laboratory Equipment Names | Images