English Vocabulary: Laboratory Equipment & Scientific Instruments

Laboratory equipment refers to the various tools and equipment used by scientists working in a laboratory...

Laboratory equipment refers to the various tools and equipment used by scientists working in a laboratory. Laboratory equipment is generally used to either perform an experiment or to take measurements and gather data.

Larger or more sophisticated equipment is generally called a scientific instrument. Both laboratory equipment and scientific instruments are increasingly being designed and shared using open hardware principles.

List of some common laboratory equipment & scientific instruments:

  • Accelerator - a machine used in scientific research that makes particles (=parts of atoms) move faster
  • Beaker - a glass or plastic container with straight sides that is used in a laboratory
  • Bell jar - a piece of equipment that is made of glass and shaped like a bell, used to surround other equipment during scientific experiments
  • Boiling tube - a glass container used in scientific experiments, consisting of a wide tube that is open at one end only. Boiling tubes are similar to test tubes but they are larger.
  • Bunsen burner - a piece of equipment that produces a gas flame, used for scientific experiments in a laboratory
  • Burette - a glass tube marked with a scale and with a tap at the bottom. It is used in laboratories for allowing a small measured amount of a liquid to flow into something.
  • Centrifuge - a machine that uses centrifugal force to separate heavier substances from lighter ones by spinning them round in a container
  • Condenser - a piece of equipment that changes gases into liquids
  • Electron microscope - a very powerful microscope that uses waves of electrons instead of light
  • Filter - an object or piece of equipment that allows you to remove solid parts that are not wanted from a liquid or gas
  • Incubator - a piece of equipment used for keeping eggs, cells, or microorganisms at a particular temperature
  • Microscope - a piece of equipment for looking at things that are too small to see normally
  • Test tube - a long thin glass container that is open at one end and is used in laboratories
  • ...

What's Your Reaction?

Confused Confused
Sad Sad
Geeky Geeky
Haha Haha
Wow Wow
Hard Hard
Easy Easy
What? What?

Comments 0

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

English Vocabulary: Laboratory Equipment & Scientific Instruments

log in

Become a part of our community!
Don't have an account?
sign up

reset password

Back to
log in

sign up

Join ESL Buzz Community

Back to
log in
Choose A Format
Personality quiz
Series of questions that intends to reveal something about the personality
Trivia quiz
Series of questions with right and wrong answers that intends to check knowledge
Voting to make decisions or determine opinions
Formatted Text with Embeds and Visuals
The Classic Internet Listicles
Open List
Submit your own item and vote up for the best submission
Ranked List
Upvote or downvote to decide the best list item
Upload your own images to make custom memes
Youtube, Vimeo or Vine Embeds
Soundcloud or Mixcloud Embeds
Photo or GIF
GIF format