Learn Useful English Vocabulary for House Cleaning through Pictures and Video.
English Vocabulary for House Cleaning
Cleaning Tools & Equipment
- Broom: a tool with a long handle and stiff bristles (usually made of straw or plastic) for sweeping dust, dirt and crumbs from the floor.
- Duster: a small brush that is used for dusting (removing dust). The bristles are usually softer than a broom and are sometimes made of feathers to dust fragile items.
- Dustpan: a pan with a small handle that is used to pick-up dust after it has been swept in a pile with a broom or duster.
- Vacuum cleaner: an electrical machine that is used for cleaning floors, carpets/rugs, furniture, etc., by sucking the dirt and dust into a bag in the machine.
- Mop: a tool for cleaning the floor which has a long handle and cloth or a sponge at the end.
- Sponge mop: a tool with a long handle and a sponge at the end that is used to clean floors.
- Bucket: a container that has a handle and is used for holding water. Buckets are often used when cleaning floors (the mop is dipped into the soapy water in the bucket).
- Spray bottle / spray cleaner: a bottle with a spray nozzle attached that sprays (spreads) the cleaning solution or water onto the item being cleaned.
- Squeegee: a cleaning tool with a a rubber strip on one end and a hangle that is used to wripe liquid across or off the surface of window, floors, shower walls or other surfaces.
- Plastic gloves: gloves that are made of plastic and are used to protect the hands while cleaning.
- Garbage can: a container for garbage.