A chair is a piece of furniture with a raised surface supported by legs, commonly used to seat a single person. In this lesson, you will learn different types of chairs vocabulary in English.
Types of Chairs Vocabulary in English
Chairs are supported most often by four legs and have a back; however, a chair can have three legs or can have a different shape.
Chairs are made of a wide variety of materials, ranging from wood to metal to synthetic material, and they may be padded or upholstered in various colors and fabrics, either just on the seat or on the entire chair.
Chairs are used in a number of rooms in homes, in schools and offices, and in various other workplaces.
Chair Vocabulary – Video
Different Types of Chairs in English:
- Sofa – a comfortable seat with raised arms and a back, that is wide enough for two or three people to sit on
- Armchair – a comfortable chair with sides that you can rest your arms on
- Throne – a special chair used by a king or queen at important ceremonies
- Stool – a seat that has three or four legs, but no back or arms
- Recliner – a chair in which you can lean back at different angles
- Couch – a comfortable piece of furniture big enough for two or three people to sit on
- Bench – a long seat for two or more people, especially outdoors
- Ottoman – a piece of furniture like a large box with a soft top, used as a seat, for resting your feet on when you are sitting, or for storing things
- Hassock – a small cushion for kneeling on in a church
Chairs Vocabulary in English | Image