1. Forming the Past Continuous Tense
The past continuous is formed from the past tense of be with the -ing form of the verb (was/were + verb-ing)
Remember: usually STATIVE VERBS are NOT used in the progressive (-ing) form
2. When do we use the Past Continuous Tense...
- Interrupted action in the past
They were waiting for the strain when I spoke to them.
- Parallel actions
I was studying while my brother was watching TV.
- A series of parallel actions
When I came to the school, the school bell was ringing, many students were running towards the garden, teachers were going out from classrooms.
- Story background
While I was driving to work yesterday...
- Past habit
My mom wasalwayscomplaining about my room when she got there.
- Specific time as an interruption
Last night at 6 p.m., I was eating dinner.
- Emphasis of length of action
I was working in the garden all day.
- Arrangement in the past
I was upset because I was leaving this place that morning.