Prepositions of Place are used to show the position or location of one thing with another. It answers the question “Where?”
A preposition of place is a preposition which is used to refer to a place where something or someone is located.
This lesson introduces some of the most common prepositions of place in English.
List of Prepositions of Place
Learn how to use Prepositions of Place correctly in English with useful rules and examples.
next to/beside: refers to a thing (or person) that is at the side of another thing
- We lay beside the pool to dry off in the sun.
- The hotel is situated next to the lively bustling port.
near/close to: “near” and “close to” are similar to “next to/beside” but there is more of a distance between the two things
- There is a bush near the school playground.
- The new shopping center is close to the railway station.
between: something in the middle of two objects or things (or places)
- There is a gulf between the two cities.
in front of: further forward than someone or something else
- They massed in front of the city hall.
- It was brave of you to speak in front of all those people.
behind: at the back (part) of something
- The horse fell behind in the race.
opposite/across from: someone (or a place) is on the other side of something
- The hospital is opposite to the post office.
- The shoe store is across from the bank.
under: lower than (or covered by) something else
- We slept under the open sky.
below: lower than something else
- He dived below the surface of the water.
over: above or higher than something else, sometimes so that one thing covers the other
- She held the umbrella over both of us.
above: higher than something else, but not directly over it
- Our friends in the apartment above us are really noisy.
Prepositions of Place in English | Images
Prepositions of Place in English | Image 1
Prepositions of Place in English | Image 2
Prepositions of Place in English | Image 3
Prepositions of Place in English | Image 4
Prepositions of Place in English | Image 5