Prepositions of Place are used to show the position or location of one thing with another. It answers the question “Where?”
A preposition of place is a preposition which is used to refer to a place where something or someone is located.
This lesson introduces some of the most common prepositions of place in English.
Prepositions of Place in English | Video
List of Prepositions of Place
Learn how to use Prepositions of Place correctly in English with useful rules and examples.
next to/beside: refers to a thing (or person) that is at the side of another thing
- We lay beside the pool to dry off in the sun.
- The hotel is situated next to the lively bustling port.
near/close to: “near” and “close to” are similar to “next to/beside” but there is more of a distance between the two things
- There is a bush near the school playground.
- The new shopping center is close to the railway station.
between: something in the middle of two objects or things (or places)
- There is a gulf between the two cities.
in front of: further forward than someone or something else
- They massed in front of the city hall.
- It was brave of you to speak in front of all those people.
behind: at the back (part) of something
- The horse fell behind in the race.
opposite/across from: someone (or a place) is on the other side of something
- The hospital is opposite to the post office.
- The shoe store is across from the bank.
under: lower than (or covered by) something else
- We slept under the open sky.
below: lower than something else
- He dived below the surface of the water.
over: above or higher than something else, sometimes so that one thing covers the other
- She held the umbrella over both of us.
above: higher than something else, but not directly over it
- Our friends in the apartment above us are really noisy.
Prepositions of Place in English | Images
Prepositions of Place in English | Image 1
Prepositions of Place in English | Image 2
Prepositions of Place in English | Image 3
Prepositions of Place in English | Image 4
Prepositions of Place in English | Image 5