Learn Common Telephone Phrasal Verbs in English with meaning and examples.
Useful TELEPHONE Phrasal Verbs in English
Useful phrasal verbs commonly used in a phone conversation.
List of Common Telephone Phrasal Verbs in English:
1. Pick up (Answer the telephone call)
- She picked up the phone, but no one answered
2. Break – up (Become inaudible over the phone, usually because of a bad connection)
- “Sorry, could you repeat that, please? You’re breaking up“.
3. Call for someone (To telephone for someone or something)
- I have to call for a taxi to take me to the airport.
4. Call someone back (To telephone someone again or to return a call)
- “I’ll call you back later with my answer”
5. Call someone up (Call someone on the phone)
- “I’m going to call them up later.
- “My dad called me up to tell me the bad news”
6. Cut off (When a telephone call finishes because of a bad connection)
- They were cut off in the middle of the video conference.
7. Get through to someone (Succeed in speaking to someone by telephone)
- After calling several times, I eventually got through to David.
8. Hang on (Wait for a short time (informal))
- “Hang on a moment – I’ll be with you in a minute”
9. Hang up (End a telephone call by putting the phone down.)
- He started shouting, so I hung up on him.
10. Hold on (Wait for a short time)
- “Could you hold on a moment while I look for the file, please?”
11. Put someone through (Connect by telephone)
- “I’ll just put you through to Mr.Jones, now.”
12. Speak up (Speak louder)
- “Sorry, could you speak up a little, please? Because the connection isn’t great.
Useful TELEPHONE Phrasal Verbs | Image