Phrases used in daily English conversations! Below is the list of common phrases used in daily conversations with ESL images.
Phrases Used in Daily English Conversations
Expressions to use in asking someone to say something again
- I’m sorry I didn’t hear/catch what you said
- Would/ Could you say that again, please?
- Would/ Could you repeat what you said, please?
- I’m sorry, what did you say?
- What was that?
- Informal: What was that again…?
- Very informal: What?/ Eh/ Mm?
Expressions to use in checking you have understood
- Does that mean…?
- Do you mean…?
- If I understand right…
- I’m not sure I understand. Does that mean…?
Expressions to use in saying something another way
- In other words,…
- That means…
- What I mean is…
- That’s to say…
- …, or rather…
- What I’m trying to say is…
- What I’m driving at/ getting at is…
- Giving yourself time to think
- …, oh/ er/ um, …
- Let me see/ think…
- …, just a moment, …
- …, you see, …
- …, you know, …
- How shall I put it?
- …, now what’s the word…?
Expressions to use in checking someone has understood you
- Do you know what I mean?
- … if you see what I mean
- I hope that’s clear.
- Do I make myself clear.
- Are you with me?
- Get it?
- Very informal:
- Got the message?
- Changing the subject
- …, by the way,…
- …, before I forget,…
- …, I nearly forgot, …
Expressions to use when you want to add something
- I’d like to make another point.
- I’d also like to say…
- You need help
- I don’t understand, I’m sorry.
- I’m not sure I understand what you mean.
- What’s the meaning of…?
- What does the word … mean?
- What’s the French/ the English word for …?
- I didn’t hear what you said.
- Can you/ Could you/ Would you (repeat, please?/ say it again, please?/ explain it again, please?/ spell that word, please?/ write it on the board, please?/ speak louder/ up, please?/ speak more slowly, please?)
- Could you step aside, please? I can’t see the board.
Expressions to use when you want to apologize
- Sorry, I’m late.
- I apologize for being late.
- I’m afraid I’ve forgotten my workbook.
Expressions to use in showing you’re interested
- Uh, uh.
- I see…
- Oh, yes.
- How interesting!
- I know/ see what you mean.
Phrases Used in Daily English Conversations | Image