Informal contractions are contractions that break grammar rules and are only used in very casual speech.
Informal contractions are short forms of other words that people use when speaking casually. They are not exactly slang, but they are a little like slang. For example, “gonna” is a short form of “going to“. If you say going to very fast, without carefully pronouncing each word, it can sound like gonna.
Informal contractions are very common in American English. We don’t usually write to them except in texts, casual emails, and informal comments on social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.).
Here is the list of common informal contractions with useful examples in English:
Contractions with”YOU” with Examples
- Don’t you – dontcha – Dontcha like the movie?
- Didn’t you – didntcha – Didntcha like the movie?
- Won’t you – wontcha – Wontcha drive the car?
- What are you – whatcha or watcha – Whatcha doing?
- Got you – gotcha – I gotcha!
- Bet you – betcha – Betcha can’t guess the answer!
Contractions with “OF” with Examples
- KInd of – kinda – I kinda like her.
- Out of – outta – The printer is outta paper.
- Cup of – cuppa – I need a cuppa coffee.
- Sort of – sorta – I sorta need that book.
- A lot of – a lotta – I have a lotta homework tonight.
Contractions with “TO” with Examples
- Got to – gotta – I gotta buy a new car.
- Going to – gonna – She is gonna be there today.
- Need to – needa – I needa go shopping soon.
- Want to – wanna – I wanna blue car.
- Have to – hafta – I hafta save some money.
- Has to – hasta – Tim hasta work today.
- Ought to – oughta – She oughta work two jobs.
- Supposed to – supposeta – I’m supposeta start the job Monday.
- Used to – useta – She useta work there too.
Other Informal Contractions
- Give me – gimme – Gimme five minutes.
- Let me – lemme – Lemme see it!
- Tell them – tellem – Tellem I’ll be there soon.
- Don’t know – dunno – I dunno what time it is.
- Got a – gotta – I gotta new job.
- Come on – c’mon – C’mon! We don’t want to be late!
- Some more – s’more – Can I have s’more water?
Common Informal Contractions | Image