Some adjectives go with certain prepositions. There is no real pattern – you need to learn them as you meet them.
Common Adjective and Preposition Combinations
- He’s been accused of robbery/murder.
- It’ll take time for me to accustom myself to the changes.
- A lot of people nowadays have become addicted to the internet.
- Are you afraid of the dark?
- My dad’s allergic to pop music.
- She was amazed at how calm she felt after the accident.
- We were amazed by what she told us.
- I’m really angry about our losses on the stock market!
Angry with someone for something
- I’m really angry with John for his total lack of responsibility.
- He’s annoyed with Tim because he told his secret.
- The drought has made farmers anxious about the harvest.
- I’m anxious to get home to open my presents.
- We appreciate the need for immediate action.
- I’m not ashamed of what I did.
- I don’t want my children associating with drug addicts and alcoholics.
- I don’t attach any importance/significance to these rumors.
- Were you aware of the risks at the time?
- I’m awful at names.
- Jack is really bad at keeping his promises.
- The film is based on a short story by Thomas Mann.
- A stay in the country will be beneficial to his health.
- You are blessed with many talents.
- You get bored / fed up with doing the same thing every day.
- He’s brilliant at football.
- The kids are busy with their homework.
- You are capable of better work than this.
- Be careful with the glasses.
- Be careful to look both ways when you cross the road.
- He’s in a really foul temper so be careful (about/of) what you say to him.
- Don’t be careless with your ATM card.
- He was quite certain about/of his attacker’s identity.
- Fiona is very clever at physics.
- My mother is very clever with her hands.
- How clever of you to buy chocolate chip cookies – they’re my favorites.
- The floor was cluttered with my situation
- I’m not comfortable with the idea of leaving her on her own.
- I don’t feel comfortable in high heels.
- I’m a bit concerned about/for your health.
- He was concerned to hear that two of his trusted workers were leaving.
- Her job is something concerned with computers.
- He was connected in some way with that fraud scandal a couple of years back.
- First connect the printer to the computer.
- She’s very conscious of the problems involved.
- Not content with stealing my boyfriend, she has turned all my friends against me.
- Our program is coordinated with yours