In this lesson, you will learn a list of 50+ questions to start a conversation with anyone in English.
Do you have difficulty speaking English? Sometimes the hardest part is simply starting a conversation.
- Never start conversations with “Hello” because the conversation would go dead immediately the person responds with “Hi” (Try this if you don’t believe me).
- An open-ended question is one that does not demand a sharp quick answer and engages the person to talk on length about the question asked.
“How are you getting on?”
“You doing OK?”
“Hi,…! What’s up?”
“Hi,…! What’s new?”
“Hi,…! Long time no see!”
“Do you mind me asking…?”
“Hi,…! Have you been keeping busy”
“How do you spend your free time?”
“What does your name mean?”
“Tell me about yourself”
“How long have you been coming for such programs?”
Some of the Most Basic Questions to Start a Conversation
- Who had the biggest impact on you while you were growing up?
- What are your hobbies?
- If you could have dinner with any 3 people (dead or alive), who would they be and why?
- What sorts of things make you laugh?
- What is your biggest goal?
- Do you have any pet peeves?
- What do you like to do on the weekend?
- Have you ever had a nickname? And if so, what was the story behind it?
- What was your favorite TV show while you were growing up?
- What are your favorite TV shows now?
- What are your favorite movies?
- Tell me one thing that would surprise me about you.
- What do you look for most in a girl?
- Tell me about what were you like as a kid.
- What are some of the items on your bucket list?
- Have you found your calling? If so, what is it?
- Who has been the biggest influence in your life?
- Do you now – have you ever – had any pets? And if so, tell me more about them?
- Tell me about a challenge that you’ve had to overcome and how you overcame it.
- If you could only listen to one song for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?
- If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?
- If you could only watch one TV show for the rest of your life, what it be and why?
- If you could only watch one movie for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?
- Tell me about your favorite childhood memory and what made it so special to you.
- What is your favorite commercial that you’ve ever seen and why?
- If you could give your younger self one piece of advice, what would it be?
- If you were stuck on a deserted island and you could only bring one thing, what would it be and why?
- Who is your celebrity crush?
- Who is your favorite music artist?
- What is your favorite music genre?
- What’s your favorite book?
- Who’s your favorite author?
- What countries have you traveled to?
- What is your favorite restaurant?
- Do you like to cook?
- Where do you want to live when we retire?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- What are your goals for this year?
- What are your goals for before deployment ends?
- What was your proudest moment?
- Who do you consider as a role model?
- Do you see yourself as an optimist, pessimist or realist, and why?
- What do you pray about?
- What board game do you hate the most?
- What’s the worst haircut you’ve ever had?
- What is your biggest success?
- What is your biggest regret?
- What is your favorite family tradition?
- What in your life do you feel most grateful for?
- What is one thing you want to do different from your parents?
Some of the Most Basic English Questions – Images