Starting a conversation with someone new in English can be daunting, but it doesn’t have to be. In this lesson, you will learn a list of 50+ questions to start a conversation with anyone in English.
Starting a Conversation with Anyone in English
Do you have difficulty speaking English? Sometimes the hardest part is simply starting a conversation.
- Never start conversations with “Hello” because the conversation would go dead immediately the person responds with “Hi” (Try this if you don’t believe me).
- An open-ended question is one that does not demand a sharp quick answer and engages the person to talk on length about the question asked.
- “How are you getting on?”
- “You doing OK?”
- “Hi,…! What’s up?”
- “Hi,…! What’s new?”
- “Hi,…! Long time no see!”
- “Do you mind me asking…?”
- “Hi,…! Have you been keeping busy”
- “How do you spend your free time?”
- “What does your name mean?”
- “Tell me about yourself”
- “How long have you been coming for such programs?”
Basic Questions to Start a Conversation
- Who had the biggest impact on you while you were growing up?
- What are your hobbies?
- If you could have dinner with any 3 people (dead or alive), who would they be and why?
- What sorts of things make you laugh?
- What is your biggest goal?
- Do you have any pet peeves?
- What do you like to do on the weekend?
- Have you ever had a nickname? And if so, what was the story behind it?
- What was your favorite TV show while you were growing up?
- What are your favorite TV shows now?
- What are your favorite movies?
- Tell me one thing that would surprise me about you.
- What do you look for most in a girl?
- Tell me about what were you like as a kid.
- What are some of the items on your bucket list?
- Have you found your calling? If so, what is it?
- Who has been the biggest influence in your life?
- Do you now – have you ever – had any pets? And if so, tell me more about them?
- Tell me about a challenge that you’ve had to overcome and how you overcame it.
- If you could only listen to one song for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?
- If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?
- If you could only watch one TV show for the rest of your life, what it be and why?
- If you could only watch one movie for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?
- Tell me about your favorite childhood memory and what made it so special to you.
- What is your favorite commercial that you’ve ever seen and why?
- If you could give your younger self one piece of advice, what would it be?
- If you were stuck on a deserted island and you could only bring one thing, what would it be and why?
- Who is your celebrity crush?
- Who is your favorite music artist?
- What is your favorite music genre?
- What’s your favorite book?
- Who’s your favorite author?
- What countries have you traveled to?
- What is your favorite restaurant?
- Do you like to cook?
- Where do you want to live when we retire?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- What are your goals for this year?
- What are your goals for before deployment ends?
- What was your proudest moment?
- Who do you consider as a role model?
- Do you see yourself as an optimist, pessimist or realist, and why?
- What do you pray about?
- What board game do you hate the most?
- What’s the worst haircut you’ve ever had?
- What is your biggest success?
- What is your biggest regret?
- What is your favorite family tradition?
- What in your life do you feel most grateful for?
- What is one thing you want to do different from your parents?
Most Basic English Questions | Images
Questions to Start A Conversation | Image 1
Questions to Start A Conversation | Image 2