You know someone going through depression but not sure what to do? Learn 53 things to say to someone with depression in English.
Things to Say to Someone with Depression
1. Ways to start the conversation:
“I have been feeling concerned about you lately.”
“Recently, I have noticed some differences in you and wondered how you are doing.”
“I wanted to check in with you because you have seemed pretty down lately.”
2. Things you should say
1. This must be difficult.
2. You’re not alone in this.
3. You are important to me.
4. Do you want a hug?
5. You are not going crazy.
6. We are not on this earth to see through one another, but to see one another through.
7. When these feelings subside, I’ll still be here and so will you.
8. I can’t really understand what you are feeling, but I can offer my compassion.
9. I’m not going to leave you or abandon you.
10. I love you. (Say this only if you mean it)
11. I’m sorry that you’re in so much pain. I am not going to leave you. I am not going to leave you. I am going to take care of myself, so you don’t need to worry that your pain might hurt me.
12. You are not alone in this. I’m here for you.
13. You may not believe it now, but the way you’re feeling will change.
14. I may not be able to understand exactly how you feel, but I care about you and want to help.
15. When you want to give up, tell yourself you will hold on for just one more day, hour, minute—whatever you can manage.
16. You are important to me. Your life is important to me.
17. Tell me what I can do now to help you.
18. Do you want a hug?
19. Equally if you don’t wanna talk about it, I’m happy just to be there and provide embarrassing stories of our day to make you laugh
20. Even if it doesn’t seem that way right now, this feeling won’t last forever
21. Take your time, no-one is rushing you to feel better.
22. I’m still here for you and I’m not going anywhere.
23. Take pride in your small victories, because small victories lead to bigger ones. You got out of bed? Sometimes that deserves an inner self-five
24. You’re not crazy or weak.
25. Some days you’ll have setbacks, but just know that tomorrow is a new day with new possibilities
26. Can I make you a cup of tea?
27. I care about you.
28. If you’d rather talk to someone professional and aren’t already, I can help you sort that out.
29. I’ll come with you if you need support – even if it’s just to the supermarket
30. You’re not alone in feeling like this
31. Tell me how you’re feeling, I’ll probably understand how you feel more than you think
32. You’re not wrong for feeling the way you do and no one blames you for it
33. The times when you’re unwell only matter if you want them to
34. Just do the best you can because that’s enough
35. I understand that it’s outside of your control.
3. Things you should not say
1. What have you got to be sad about? There’s many worse off than you!
2. No one ever said that life was fair.
3. Stop feeling sorry for yourself.
4. So you’re depressed. Aren’t you always?
5. Snap out of it.
6. It’s your own fault.
7. Believe me, I know how you feel. I was depressed for a week after my dog died.
8. Your moods are bringing everyone around you down with you.
9. Stop feeling sorry for yourself.
10. If you go out and socialize it will go away.
11. Have you tried chamomile tea?
12. It’s all in your head.
13. We all go through times like this.
14. Look on the bright side.
15. You have so much to live for, why do you want to die?
16. I can’t do anything about your situation.
17. What’s wrong with you?
18. Shouldn’t you be better by now?
Things to Say to Someone with Depression | Image