Informal Contractions – Video
Common contractions with “HAVE” with examples:
- Should have – shoulda – I shoulda called yesterday.
- Could have – coulda – She coulda been here by 1:00.
- Would have – woulda – He woulda arrived earlier, but the train was late.
- Might have – mighta – You mighta left the bag at the airport.
- Must have – musta – You musta been in a hurry.
- Couldn’t have – couldna -I couldna called because my phone was broken.
- Shouldn’t have – shouldna – She shouldna told you that.
- Wouldn’t have – wouldna – Nick wouldna known about the meeting.
- She would have – she’da – She’da liked to be at the meeting today.
- He would have – he’da – He’da liked to be there too.
- I would have – I’da – I’da written to you, but I didn’t have your address.
- They would have – they’da – I wish they’da given me more time!
- You would have – you’da – You’da enjoyed the concert last night.
Contractions with“YOU” with examples:
- Don’t you – dontcha – Dontcha like the movie?
- Didn’t you – didntcha – Didntcha like the movie?
- Won’t you – wontcha – Wontcha drive the car?
- What are you – whatcha or watcha – Whatcha doing?
- Got you – gotcha – I gotcha!
- Bet you – betcha – Betcha can’t guess the answer!
Contractions with "OF" with examples
- KInd of - kinda - I kinda like her.
- Out of - outta - The printer is outta paper.
- Cup of - cuppa - I need a cuppa coffee.
- Sort of - sorta - I sorta need that book.
- A lot of - a lotta - I have a lotta homework tonight.
Contractions with "TO" with examples:
- Got to - gotta - I gotta buy a new car.
- Going to - gonna - She is gonna be there today.
- Need to - needa - I needa go shopping soon.
- Want to - wanna - I wanna blue car.
- Have to - hafta - I hafta save some money.
- Has to - hasta - Tim hasta work today.
- Ought to - oughta - She oughta work two jobs.
- Supposed to - supposeta - I'm supposeta start the job Monday.
- Used to - useta - She useta work there too.
Other informal contractions:
- Give me - gimme - Gimme five minutes.
- Let me - lemme - Lemme see it!
- Tell them - tellem - Tellem I'll be there soon.
- Don't know - dunno - I dunno what time it is.
- Got a - gotta - I gotta new job.
- Come on - c'mon - C'mon! We don't want to be late!
- Some more - s'more - Can I have s'more water?