This is a list of the 20+ most common action verbs in English.
Common Verbs in English – Video
Common Verbs in English
- Read – Look at and comprehend the meaning of (written or printed matter) by interpreting the characters or symbols of which it is composed.
Example: I love reading book.
- Drink – Take liquid into the mouth and swallow.
Example: We sat by the fire, drinking our tea
- Knock – Strike a surface noisily to attract attention, especially when waiting to be let in through a door.
Example: Listen! Someone is knocking the door.
- Eat – Put (food) into the mouth and chew and swallow it.
Example: He was eating a hot dog
- Teach – Impart knowledge to or instruct (someone) as to how to do something.
Example: He taught me how to ride a bike.
- Swim – Propel the body through water by using the limbs.
Example: He swims thirty lengths twice a week.
- Hug – Squeeze (someone) tightly in one’s arms, typically to express affection.
Example: He hugged her close to him.
- Comb – Untangle or arrange (the hair) by drawing a comb through it.
Example: She combed her hair and put some lipstick on.
- Laugh – Make the spontaneous sounds and movements of the face and body that are the instinctive expressions of lively amusement and sometimes also of derision.
Example: She couldn’t help laughing at his jokes
- Hammer – Hit or beat (something) repeatedly with a hammer or similar object.
Example: He hammered the tack in
- Cry – Shed tears in distress, pain, or sorrow.
Example: Don’t cry—it’ll be all right.
- Cook – Prepare (food, a dish, or a meal) by mixing, combining, and heating the ingredients.
Example: Shall I cook dinner tonight?
- Sleep – Be in a state of sleep
Example: She slept for half an hour.
- Knit – Make (a garment, blanket, etc.) by interlocking loops of wool or other yarn with knitting needles or on a machine
Example: He was knitting a sweater.
Common Verbs in English – Image