The list below provides useful English phrases to excuse for being late everyone should know.
Common Excuses for Being Late
1. My car broke down.
2. Sorry I’m late.
3. Sorry – I didn’t hear the alarm clock.
4. I slept right through the alarm.
5. I couldn’t find a parking space.
6. The roads were chockablock.
7. It’s not an easy place to find.
8. I got lost coming here.
9. I apologize for being late.
10. I’m sorry for being late.
11. Sorry for the delay.
12. Sorry to keep you waiting.
13. I’m sorry, I couldn’t make it that day.
14. I’m sorry, I couldn’t make it in time.
15. Sorry, my car broke down on the way.
16. I’m sorry, I got a little late.
17. I overslept.
18. I had to wait ages for a bus.
19. The bus was late.
20. I lost my car keys.
21. I was tied up in a meeting.
22. I got stuck in traffic.
23. I fell asleep on the train and missed my stop.
24. I got caught by police.
25. The traffic was terrible.
Common Excuses for Being Late | Image