When we have a health problem we can go and see a doctor. Here are some useful phrases for the doctor’s office you should know.
Learn more about useful phrases for discussion and debate in English
Common Phrases for the Doctor’s Office
At the Reception
1. I’d like to see a doctor.
2. Do you have an appointment?
3. Is it urgent?
4. I’d like to make an appointment to see Dr. …
5. Do you have any doctors who speak …?
6. Do you have private medical insurance?
1. How can I help you?
2. What’s the problem?
3. What are your symptoms?
– I’ve been feeling sick.
– I’ve been having headaches.
– I’m very congested.
– My joints are aching.
– I’ve got diarrhoea.
– I’ve got a lump.
– I’ve got a swollen/ sprained ankle.
– I’m in a lot of pain.
– I’ve got a pain in my back/ chest/ waist.
– I think I’ve pulled a muscle in my leg.
– I’m asthmatic/ diabetic/ epileptic.
– I need another inhaler/ some more insulin.
– I’m having difficulty breathing.
– I’ve got very little energy.
– I’ve been feeling very tired.
– I’ve been feeling depressed.
– I’ve been having difficulty sleeping.
4. How long have you been feeling like this?
5. How have you been feeling generally?
6. Is there any possibility you might be pregnant?
– I think I might be pregnant.
7. Do you have any allergies?
– I’m allergic to antibiotics.
8. Are you on any sort of medication?
– I need s sick note.
1. Can I have a look?
2. Where does it hurt?
3. Does it hurt when I press here?
– I’m going to take your blood pressure/ temperature/ pulse.
4. Could you roll up your sleeve?
– Your blood pressure’s quite low/ normal/ rather high/ very high.
– Your temperature’s normal/ a little high/ very high.
5. Open your mouth, please.
6. Cough, please.
Treatments & Advice
1. You’re going to need a few stiches.
2. I’m going to give you an injection.
3. We need to take a urine sample.
4. You need to have a blood test.
5. I’m going to prescribe you some antibiotics.
6. Take two of these pills three times a day.
7. Take this prescription to the chemist.
8. You should stop smoking.
9. You should cut down on your drinking.
10. You need to try and lose some weight.
11. I want to send you for an X-ray.
12. I want you to see a specialist.
Common Phrases for the Doctor’s Office | Image